September 26, 2010

Family baptism

One of the first highlights of our trip to California was going to the church that Jake Medcalf leads. Jake is a friend of mine from High School, he is one of those people you just have to love. His spirit is so open to loving you exactly where you are, and he smiles a lot. I have always had fond memories of being friends with Jake, as well as a feeling of safety in his presence.

Recently I learned that he had been ordained through La Jolla Presbyterian. I immediately contacted him to see if he could dedicate my children when he was back in town. Over time I realized that was probably not realistic. I also began thinking about my own baptism. I was raised in a home with faith, and early in high school I made the adult decision to follow the Lord. But I had never made the public statement of baptism. There were lots of reasons, some more valid than others. In the end I am so thankful that I waited for this moment.

Earlier this year we decided to take the kids on a trip to Disneyland. A few months ago it occurred to me that we should tag on a trip to San Diego to stay with family and get baptized by Jake. I knew it would make it difficult for our immediate family to celebrate with us, but I also felt it was special to share this moment with the family that lives down south. They have always provided a very strong example of living for God, it felt right to me to have their blessings on our baptism.

A few days before we left for the trip Trever decided to be included in the baptism. He was baptized Lutheran as a child, but had not taken the step as an adult.

So, on September 26th we had the honor of going to church with Jake. It was a small, intimate church which reminded me of the energy of our high school youth group. Standing next to my husband and my children was so special. Even though I have been bonded to my walk with God for many years it was still a beautiful and emotional experience for me to stand up in such a public way.

Our children added to the joy... Nathan openly saying that he was not "getting baptized" he was "getting dedicated". Natalie saying we were getting dirty as we got wet... we had to encourage her to get water on her head by saying she wasn't getting dirty, it was just like a bath. She loves a bath, she just doesn't like her clothes/hair getting food/dirt/water on them.

The baptism for the kids was in honor of the fact that God loves them, we hope that they will grow up with a desire to have an adult baptism to show that they love God.

1 comment:

Riccobenes... said...

thanks so much for sharing the whole story. i got chills as i read and am so happy for all of you. it sounds very special and the kids experiences so sweet.